‘You are what you eat’. How many times have we heard that adage? Perhaps they saying is so pervasive because it is true. Proper nutrition is essential for everyone and Parkinson’s patients are no exceptions to the rule.
Here is a quick list of 10 nutrient dense foods for Parkinson’s patients:
1. Foods high in fiber such as oats, lentils, and dried fruits improve digestion
2. Vegetables and fruits provide antioxidants to remove internal and external toxins
3. Green tea can improve brain functioning and can alleviate stress
4. Salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
5. Red wine may be able to help in the management of Parkinson’s disease symptoms due to Resveratrol, a chemical in wine. Read more about wine and Parkinson’s here.
6. Kale for minerals, vitamins, and fiber
7. Beer may be able to mitigate cell damage that impacts Parkinson’s. Future research is needed to be more definitive, but you can read more about the current work here.
8. Walnuts and pecans improve brain functionality
9. Egg yolks provide protein and health fats
10. Dark chocolate has tremendous antioxidants and tastes delicious!